TOURS OF LUMPKIN COUNTY'S HISTORIC OLD JAIL
The 1884 Lumpkin County Jail & Museum will be open on Saturday, April 16, from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. during the Bear on the Square Mountain Festival for free tours conducted by members of the Lumpkin County Historical Society. Suggested admission is $2 per person or $5 per group.
The Jail, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985, is located on Enota Street two blocks east of Dahlonega’s Historic Public Square. The jail was built to house those who were elected to uphold the law as well as those who broke it. Jail cells are on the second floor, and the sheriff or a deputy and his family lived on the ground floor.
The Museum displays at the Old Jail include household items that would have been used in the 1800s and early 1900s, artifacts from daily life during those times, and vintage photographs including gold mining scenes, historical buildings and significant events. Recently opened to the public is the exhibit of Nina Head's spinning wheel, which was donated to the Historical Society by her family. In the cellblock area is a cardboard cutout of a picture of Bill Miner (also known as the Gentleman Bandit and the Grey Fox), the most famous resident of the Historic Old Jail. There is also information about the train robber's exploits.
For special tours and student groups, please send an email to arrange a tour.